TRN (Tax Number) is an identification number given to everyone registered under the UAE VAT. It is mandatory that only persons with a valid TRN can charge VAT on consumables. In this case, it is helpful for registered companies to ensure that they receive supplies from the registrant so that they can fearlessly recover the input tax on supplies. For unregistered personnel and consumers, it must also be ensured that only genuine registered personnel can charge them VAT on supplies. To help achieve this, the FTA stipulates whether the TRN mentioned on the invoice or the TRN quoted by the supplier is valid. Anyone can use this tool to ensure that the TRN quoted by their supplier is true.
- Visit the https://www.tax.gov.ae/en
- Click ‘Getting help’. Select TRN Verification from the options available
- Enter the TRN you want to check. Enter the security code displayed on the page.
- If the TRN is not valid, you will get the message
- If the TRN is valid, you will get the message shown below, with the legal name of the entity in English as well as Arabic
Hence, this tool can be used by all persons in UAE to ensure that they pay VAT only to persons registered under VAT. Previously, only registered users on the FTA website were able to use this tool. However, the FTA has enhanced this tool recently, to ensure that even persons not registered on the FTA website can use this tool to easily verify a TRN